The new version of MAC OS X, 10.10 (Yosemite) is expected to be released today, Thursday October 16th, and is currently incompatible with the ClearPass registration system and potentially other services at Rowan.

Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata





Title: Academic Status Policy

Subject: Academic Affairs

Policy No: AA: 2015: 03

Applies: University-Wide

Issuing Authority: Provost / Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs

Responsible Officer: Deans


Last Revision: 08/15/2017

Last Reviewed: 08/15/2017



The purpose of this policy is to define the following regarding academic status: matriculated, non-matriculated, stop-out, leave of absence and withdrawal as well as outline the necessary requirements for distinguishing between undergraduate and graduate educational experiences in student records 


Under direction of the Provost, all Deans and Department Chairs shall implement this policy and all faculty shall ensure compliance with the policy.


This policy applies to all students of Rowan University.


  1. Distinguishing Between Undergraduate and Graduate Educational Experiences in Student Records
    1. Undergraduate and graduate educational experiences are distinct and need to be clearly delineated in student records, therefore:
      1. Students admitted to an undergraduate program will:
        1. Have all academic records stored in an undergraduate account;
        2. Apply all courses taken (whether graduate level or undergraduate level) to their undergraduate degree and undergraduate GPA;
        3. Be charged at the undergraduate rate for tuition and fees;
        4. Be subject to all undergraduate academic policies and procedures.
      2. Students admitted to a graduate program will:
        1. Have all academic records stored in a graduate account;
        2. Be charged for all courses (graduate or undergraduate) at the graduate rate for tuition and fees;
        3. Apply all courses to the graduate GPA;
        4. Be subject to all graduate academic policies and procedures.
    2. Undergraduate courses taken by graduate students cannot be used to fulfill degree requirements.
      1. Credits from graduate level courses taken while an undergraduate student (whether taken at Rowan or other accredited university) may transfer and be used toward the graduate degree if approved by the program, but the grade associated with the courses will not transfer and will not impact the Rowan Graduate GPA.
      2. Except in rare and compelling circumstances beyond the control of the student, where the student may apply a maximum of three semester hours of upper level undergraduate coursework toward the graduate program semester hour requirement with the prior approval of the program advisor, department chairperson, dean, and Director of The Graduate School.

  2. Matriculated/Non-Matriculated Status
    1. Matriculated students are those who have formally been admitted to the University through the Admissions Office, have confirmed their intention to enroll in either a certificate granting program or a degree program, and who subsequently register and attend classes.
    2. Matriculated students regularly enroll in classes on either a full-time or part-time basis.
    3. Non-matriculated students are those who have not been formally admitted to the University through the Admissions Office. Non-matriculated students may enroll in courses until they have attempted a total of 24 credits. After attempting 24 s.h., students may not enroll for additional credits without fully matriculating or receiving permission of the academic dean. Furthermore, non-matriculated students may enroll in classes only on a part-time basis (not more than 11.5 credits per semester).

  3. Stop Out Status
    1. Students who do not register for two consecutive regular academic semesters will loose their matriculation status at the end of the drop-add period of the third semester. 
    2. Such students must then apply for Re-Enrollment through the Office of Academic Transition and Support Programs to a major program, and meet any new program requirements that have been officially instituted.
    3. Registration during a summer session will count toward registration; but failure to register during a summer session does not count as a third semester.
      Summer session will count toward registration; but failure to register during a summer session does not count as a third semester.

  4. Leave of Absence

    1. Students who are currently enrolled but do not intend to register for classes in an upcoming semester may maintain their matriculated status by applying for a Leave of Absence through the Office of Academic Support and Transition Programs. Students may apply for leaves for a period of up to four consecutive regular academic semesters. Students who fail to register for a fifth consecutive regular academic semester will lose their matriculated status.

    2. Students who stop attending without notifying the University may apply for leaves of absence before failing to register for a third consecutive regular academic semester. If a leave of absence is granted, students can maintain matriculated status. However, the total number of consecutive semesters missed (the stop out plus extension with the leave of absence) shall not exceed four.

    3. Students cannot apply for a Leave of Absence for a semester in which they are currently registered for classes. Leaves of Absence can only be approved for semesters that have not yet begun.


  5. Withdrawal from Current Semester

    1. Students who withdraw from all classes within a current semester must complete a Withdraw from Current Semester form. When such students withdraw, a W (withdraw) grade is received. If students wish to take a Leave of Absence midway through a semester, they must first withdraw from the current semester and then take a leave of absence for the upcoming semester. In order to receive a refund of tuition and fees, students must withdraw during the add/drop period. Students must submit documentation detailing any extenuating circumstances. A withdrawal from the current semester will only hold matriculated status for one semester.


  6. Withdrawal from Rowan

    1. To withdraw completely from Rowan University, students must obtain a withdrawal form from the office of the Vice President for Student Life. The date of actual withdrawal will be determined by the date the withdrawal process begins. Students receiving financial aid may be required to return a portion of those funds if they withdraw prior to the mid-point of the semester, which is determined by federal guidelines. Students who fail to follow the withdrawal process will be assigned a grade of F or NR, depending on the faculty member’s ability to assign a grade for the semester. Students may request an Incomplete from a professor.

    2. Students who withdraw completely from the University and wish to re-enroll in the next semester should complete a reapplication form obtained online from the Admissions Office website.

      7.  Hardship/Medical Retroactive Withdrawal

Students who have experienced a medical condition or financial situation which requires missing one or more semesters, but who desire to keep their matriculated status, may apply for a University Hardship/Medical Retroactive Withdrawal. Official documentation is required to be approved by the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students. A retroactive withdrawal may be requested if a situation was so extenuating that it prevented the student from withdrawing during the current semester.

  • No labels