ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Payroll WTE Approvers and Proxies
Subject: Payroll Services
Policy No: FIN: 2016:03
Issuing Authority: President
Responsible Officer: Senior Vice President for Finance and CFO
The purpose of this policy is to outline the University’s use of a secure web-based time entry system where employees report time worked and/or exception time taken on electronic time sheets.
II. ACCOUNTABILITY ACCOUNTABILITY
At the direction of the Senior Vice President for Finance and CFO, the Payroll Director shall implement and ensure be accountable for ensuring compliance with this policy.
This policy applies to all employees of the University.
WTE Employee Training Manual https://sites.rowan.edu/payroll/_docs/wte/wte_handout.pdf
- Web Time Entry (WTE) is a secure web-based time entry system in Self Service Banner where employees report time worked and/or exception time taken on electronic time sheets from any computer with internet access. After approval by supervisors, the information is sent electronically to Payroll for processing. This new system provides efficient, cost-effective electronic time entry for most individuals on the University's payroll.
- The Web Time Entry (WTE) system is designed to reduce the amount of time (including personnel hours) required to record the hours that an employee actually worked and to generate payroll, to reduce errors, to increase accountability, and to facilitate access to compensation and benefit data.
- Approvers must ensure that their employees know how to use the WTE system. The WTE Employee Training Manual covers all employee classifications.
- Employees will record leave and/or time worked and supervisors will approve time sheets entered by their employees and update or change employee time sheets. There will be times when a supervisor may delegate the review and approval of an employee’s time entries, and the deadlines by which time entries must be approved to another manager as his/her Proxy.
- WTE is available 24/7/365 through Banner Self-Serve, as long as there is access to the web. For this reason, it is expected that an Approver will only have to appoint a Proxy in rare circumstances. In those circumstances, the Proxy will be given the same WTE security as the Approver. This will allow the Proxy to perform the same WTE functions as the Approver. The use of Proxies is monitored to ensure that the delegation is only rarely made.
- An Approver may create a Proxy on the WTE system at any time during a pay period, but must do so at least 48 hours before approvals are required.
- A Proxy must be a managerial employee and should be either at or above the level of employees being approved. Exceptions to these requirements may only be made by contacting contact Payroll Services (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- An Approver must confirm the creation of a Proxy for a particular pay period by confirming the delegation in writing (including email) to the Proxy that also states the reason for the need to delegate. (For example: please approve my department's time sheets this week because I will be on vacation.)
- Approvers should maintain appropriate internal controls for tracking hours worked in order to validate that the hours submitted on the WTE time sheet are correct. The use of controls such as schedules and sign-in/sign-out sheets, or emails from the employee to the Approver confirming vacation, sick and other exception time are helpful to ensure reporting accuracy.