ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Smoking Policy
Subject: Student Life
Policy No: SL: 2016:13
Issuing Authority: President
Responsible Officer: Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students
Last Revision: 08/01/2020
Last Reviewed: 08/01/2020
This policy provides guidelines regarding the prohibition of smoking in university buildings in compliance with New Jersey state law and applicable regulations and in compliance with University policy.
Under the direction of the President, the Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students shall implement and ensure compliance with this policy.
This policy applies to all Rowan University faculty, staff, students, and visitors to all Rowan University campuses.
- Electronic smoking device - an electronic device that can be used to deliver nicotine or other substances to the person inhaling from the device, including, but not limited to, an electronic cigarette, cigar, cigarillo, hookah or pipe.
- Smoking - the burning of, inhaling from, exhaling the smoke from, or the possession of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other matter or substance which contains tobacco or any other matter that can be smoked, or the inhaling or exhaling of smoke or vapor from an electronic smoking device.
- New Jersey statutes state that the right of the non-smoker to breathe clean air supersedes the right of the smoker to smoke.
- On the Glassboro Campus smoking of tobacco products and the use of electronic smoking devices is prohibited inside and within 50 feet of all academic, residential, service, and administrative buildings.
- The Stratford Campus became smoke free on July 1, 2012. Smoking is prohibited in all University owned or leased facilities and vehicles.