ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Grading System
Subject: Academic Affairs
Policy No: AA: 2015: 08
Issuing Authority: Provost/Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs
Responsible Officer: Deans
Last Revision: 12/14/2016
Last Reviewed: 02/04/2016
The purpose of this policy is to outline the University's grading system.
Under direction of the Provost, all Deans and Department Chairs shall implement this policy and all faculty shall ensure compliance with the policy.
This policy is applicable to all students of Rowan University.
- The University's Grading System
The following are used to evaluate students' performances in courses:
- The use of P/NC (Pass/No Credit) in selected courses has been approved by the University Senate. A list of approved P/NC courses is published each semester in the Master Schedule of Classes. Students must accept the responsibility of reviewing that listing. P/NC grades will not contribute to the computation of cumulative grade point averages or the designation of graduation honors. Descriptive reports will accompany P/NC grades only at students' written requests and at the option of the instructor. If students do not request an option for P/NC before the end of the last day of the second week of class, they will be graded on the A-F scale. Transfer and first-year students registering during or after September 1995 will be permitted to take up to 10 percent of the credits earned as P/NC. Students engaged in exchange programs are graded on the P/NC basis.
- The interim grade of IN (incomplete) may be assigned by an instructor under certain circumstances. This grade must be removed before the end of the following academic semester. If students believe that circumstances warrant an extension, they may request the instructor, in writing, for such an extension. If approved, the instructor will renew the incomplete in the Registrar's Office when grades are due. Failure to remove the incomplete grade within the prescribed time will automatically change the IN to an F.
- The following notations are made by the Registrar
- The NR notation will be inserted by the registrar when instructors do not record grades for students in courses in which these students are registered. This notation may be changed later to a regular letter grade by instructors using the Change of Grade procedure (see section D below). The symbol could be changed to a W if students present sufficient evidence of withdrawal from the course involved.