ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Credit by Examination for Life Experience, External Examination
Subject: Academic Affairs
Policy No: AA: 2017:04
Issuing Authority: Sr. Vice President and Provost
Responsible Officer: Deans
Last Revision: 04/18/2019
Last Reviewed: 04/18/2019
The purpose for this policy is to outline the University's position regarding the assignment of credit based upon external evaluations.
Under direction of the Provost, all Deans and Department Chairs shall implement this policy and all faculty shall ensure compliance with the policy.
This policy is applicable to all students of Rowan University.
- The University recognizes tests by external assessment agencies, e.g., College Level Examination Placement (CLEP), Advanced Placement, IB, etc. Assignment of credit based upon external evaluation is considered as transfer credit.
- Credit assessments made by Thomas Edison State University or Rowan’s internal prior learning assessment** are accepted and posted as transfer credit.
- Credit assessments made by the American Council on Education are evaluated in the same manner as traditional transfer credit, and, if accepted, posted as transfer credit.
- While there is no limit on the total of non-traditional credits applied to a degree, there are the following limits on bulk/batch credit for the groups listed below and similar groups, with final determination made between the Registrar, Academic Affairs, and the appropriate academic department:
- Military credits through Joint Services transcripts (limits determined by associated Rowan academic departments)
- Police, fire, EMT/EMS training/academies (limits determined by associated Rowan academic departments)
- RN students (30 s.h. limit for the RN license and individual credit beyond 30 from 4-year institutions will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis by the academic department)
- Graduate-level credit by examination policy & procedures can be found in the Graduate & Post-baccalaureate student policies guide via Rowan Global Learning & Partnership www.rowanu.com/academic-resources/graduate-policies.
- This policy is currently under Senate APP review as of 04/18/2019 and is considered an interim policy pending approval.