ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Banner Finance Security
Subject: Accounting Services
Policy No: Fin: 2015:01
Issuing Authority: President
Responsible Officer: Senior Vice President for Finance and CFO
Last Revision: 10/30/2018
To implement fiscal policies and procedures for providing appropriate and authorized security access to the Banner Finance System, and to define the essential department level requirements for Banner security around financial control, and to provide an outline of the respective roles and responsibilities that are required by the University at each level of the organization.
Under the direction of the President, the Senior Vice President for Finance and CFO shall implement this policy and the Assistant Vice President for Finance and Controller shall ensure compliance with the policy.
It is the responsibility of any faculty and staff member who is involved in any financial activity on behalf of the University to be fiscally responsible and to exercise appropriate financial controls.
The Accounting Services Department in conjunction with A.S.A (Analytics, System, & Applications) is responsible for providing access to the Banner Finance System using information made available for this purpose. Access to Banner systems is restricted to those employees who require access in order to enable them to fulfill their job responsibilities.
V. ATTACHMENTS (Procedure details)
When an employee's duties and responsibilities require access to the Banner Finance System, the following procedures will be used to gain access or to change existing access. In addition, when an employee's duties and responsibilities change to no longer require access to these systems, the procedures below will be used to terminate access.
- Procedures for New Users:
- The University Administrator (Manager or Department Head) or Primary Investigator (for Grants) responsible for the requested Fund and Organization must send an approval/set-up e-mail to email@example.com
- The e-mail needs to include the following:
- The name of the person for whom access is requested, that person’s title, and department.
- The reason access is necessary
- What type of access is needed: Query (view), Posting (Requisition and Budget Transfer entries) or Both
- The Fund and Organization numbers for which access is necessary.
- Security may be provided at the predecessor organization level with Divisional approval.
- Requests to copy the security of one person to another person can be requested assuming appropriate approval by the responsible persons applicable to all funds and organizations in the request.
- The name and title (Principal Investigator for Grants) of the requesting Manager, Department Head or Principal Investigator
- Security request e-mails received for access to Grants will be routed to the Director of Grants and Contract Accounting for approval. The Director of Grants and Contract Accounting will forward the request with their approval to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Finance Security Administrator will notify the requestor if further information is needed or when the set-up is completed. The set-up of security will only be done based on email requests sent from the appropriate approver in accordance with the guidelines listed above or by approval of an appropriate Finance officer. When the set-up pertains to an employee not already provided previous access to Banner Finance, ASA is notified to establish a USER ID and Banner ID.
- Email requests are maintained on file in the Accounting Services Department.
- Procedures for Change to Access:
- When an employee's duties and responsibilities change to require different access, the appropriate Manager, Department Head or Principal Investigator responsible for the Fund and Organization must send an e-mail to email@example.com to change the employee’s access. Approval is granted if the necessary authorizations and information have been submitted. See Procedures for New Users.
- Procedures for Termination of Access:
- When an employee's duties and responsibilities change to no longer require certain access, the appropriate Manager, Department Head, or Principal Investigator responsible for the Fund and Organization should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Access will be terminated according to the time frame provided in the notice. The approver will be notified that access has been removed.
- Review/Monitoring Procedures
- Every week the NPA (Notification of Personnel Action) report is generated and reviewed. This report provides information on employee HR changes. Further action will be taken on whether the access is still required and appropriate security changes are then taken
- Security requests for other than Banner Finance
- The policy listed above applies only to the Banner Finance module. Requests for access to the Banner HR module should be forwarded to the Security Administrator for the Human Resources module. Requests for Banner Student and Faculty module access should be forwarded to Registrar Inforservices at email@example.com.
- Self-Service Banner Request Menu
- A Finance Security access request workflow form can be obtained through Self-Service Banner by going to the Main Menu, Banner Access Request Menu, then Request a Security Change link. The same requirements and procedures are contained within the form for approvals and notifications.