ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Fleet Management
Subject: Facilities, Planning & Operations
Policy No: Fac: 2015:03
Issuing Authority: President
Responsible Officer: Vice President Facilities, Planning & Operations
Last Revision: 11/19/2018
Last Reviewed: 11/19/2018
To set Rowan University guidelines regarding use of Rowan University owned or leased vehicles (“fleet vehicles”) in the conduct of official Rowan University business or activities.
Under the direction of the President, the Executive Vice President, Provost, and Sr. Vice Presidents are responsible for ensuring University compliance with this policy. The Vice Presidents, Deans, Department Managers and Supervisors shall implement this policy.
This policy applies to all full-time, part-time, permanent and temporary employees, faculty, staff, officers, and other authorized individuals.
- All fleet vehicles shall be driven by a Rowan University employee who holds the proper driver's license as required by the State of New Jersey. The typical fleet vehicle requires a class "D" license. Other fleet vehicles such as buses, larger trucks etc. may require a Commercial Driver License with endorsements. It is the responsibility of the College or Operating Unit to which the vehicle is assigned, to ensure that the designated driver has the applicable driver's license requirements before the vehicle is operated.
- Rowan University fleet vehicles shall be used for official Rowan University business only and not for routine commuting.
- Rowan University fleet vehicles shall be assigned to a College or Operating Unit for its collective business use and not to individuals.
- All drivers of Rowan fleet vehicles who drive as part of their job responsibilities shall complete Rowan University's Driver Safety Course every five years. A record of the course attendees shall be maintained by the employee's department and a copy sent to the Department of Facilities, Fleet Management (drivers maintaining the "CEVO" certification on an annual basis are exempt.)
- Rowan University passenger vans (15 passenger or more) require additional Van Safety training before driving. Van Safety certification is valid for three years. Vans with 15 passengers or more also require a CDL license before driving. Records of the training and CDL licensure must be maintained by the department and a copy sent to Facilities Fleet Management.
- Facilities Fleet Management Department shall have the responsibility for the maintenance, repair, assignment, monitoring, documentation and disposal of all University fleet vehicles.
- Colleges and Operating Units to whom University fleet vehicles are assigned shall:
- Ensure that copies of the designated drivers' licenses are provided to Facilities Fleet Management on an annual basis (January 1st) or when a new employee is hired and designated as a driver.
- Notify Fleet Management immediately of a change in a designated drivers license status or if a designated driver receives a ticket while driving a University fleet vehicle. It is the responsibility of each designated driver to notify his/her supervisor immediately upon any of the aforementioned items occurring.
- Rowan University reserves the right to obtain a motor vehicle record check for employees who drive University fleet vehicles.
- Fines for traffic violations including overtime parking, towing and storage fees for illegally parked fleet vehicles shall be paid by the operator of the vehicle responsible for the violation. Fines shall not be reimbursed to the employee.
- Parking and toll expenses shall be paid by the College/Operating Unit.
- Rowan University Fuel Cards:
- Rowan University fuel credit cards are the property of Rowan University and are to be used for Rowan University fleet vehicles only. (The Rowan University Fuel Card Policy can be found at: https://confluence.rowan.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=61431912. The cards are not to be used for personal vehicles. Rowan University has the discretion to request the return of the cards at any time through the Director of Purchasing and Procurement.
- Each College or unit is responsible to ensure that all fleet vehicle fuel receipts are maintained in a separate file in accordance with the fuel card policy for each assigned vehicle. These fuel receipts are subject to periodic review and verification by Purchasing and the Internal Audit upon request.
- Motor Vehicle Operating Expense:
- The cost of operating and maintaining fleet vehicles used to conduct Rowan University business shall be considered a College or Operating Unit expense. These costs include but are not limited to repairs, maintenance, and fuel obtained at Facilities Fuel pumps. The vehicle operating cost will be tabulated monthly by the Director of Facilities Operations or designee and charged back to each College or Operating Unit via an interdepartmental transfer (DCA).
- Fleet Procurement:
- Vehicles to be purchased for Rowan University Facilities Operations will be overseen by Fleet Management utilizing the procedures in place by the Procurement and Contracts Department. Specifications, Model type, Special Accessories, and Warranties will be formulated by Fleet Management and after authorization by the Director of Facilities Operations, provided to Procurement for bidding. Fleet Management will have the sole discretion in determining 'equals' to the specifications. Once an award is made by Procurement, Fleet Management will manage the delivery, transfer of title, and registration of the vehicle adding it to the Preventative Maintenance vehicle inventory data base and Vehicle Inventory List. Any cost associated with the above, will be charged to the department ordering the vehicle.
- Vehicles to be purchased by departments other than Facilities Operations will follow the same protocols as above with the exception of the development of Specifications, Model, and Accessories. Fleet Management will reserve the right to determine if the specified vehicle can be supported and maintained by Fleet Management.
- Alternative Fuel, Hybrids and Electric vehicles will be evaluated on a case by case basis for all new vehicle purchases as an alternative to typical combustion engine types. Fleet Management will determine the appropriateness of such alternative vehicles and if so determined, proceed with the procurement process. For vehicle requests from other departments the alternative vehicle type, if appropriate, will be strongly recommended and justification of any objections by those departments will be sought by the Director of Facilities Operations.
New Vehicle set-up:
- Upon delivery of a new vehicle, Fleet Management will inspect the vehicle, noting any defects that are the responsibility of the dealer, and complete the motor vehicle registration documents. The Director of Facilities Operations or designee will arrange for inclusion of the vehicle into the Rowan University fleet by completing the "Fleet Policy Data" form and forwarding it to Risk Management.
- Fleet Management will establish and maintain a motor vehicle operating record for every vehicle acquired, recording the fuel consumption in procedure for the facilities fuel pump, maintenance and repairs for the life of the vehicle on the Dossier system.
- Maintenance, Repair, Documentation and Training:
- The Director of Facilities Operations or designee will have the responsibility of ensuring that all Rowan University fleet vehicles are properly maintained, repaired and inspected.
- Fleet Management will maintain a regularly updated vehicle list including year, make, model, VIN number, mileage and assigned location.
- Fleet Management will maintain records of preventative maintenance and repairs to all vehicles on the Dossier System.
- Fleet Management will insure that all vehicles, when in for service, have a current inspection sticker and insurance card located in the glove box. Card must not be removed.
- Fleet Management will insure that shop personnel are provided formal technical training to enhance skills and trades competency, and maintain records of such training.
- Mechanical Breakdown:
- Vehicles that develop mechanical or electrical problems will be taken out of service and repaired. If the vehicle is off campus and, in the best judgment of the designated driver is unsafe to drive, the Director of Facilities Operations or designee should be called for instructions.
- In the event that a vehicle must be towed before Fleet Management Services can be notified, the location of the towing company and storage lot will be recorded. At the earliest opportunity, the designated driver shall provide this information to the Director of Facilities Operations or Fleet Management.
- The police in the municipality where the accident occurred, if not at the scene, shall be notified immediately. All Rowan University designated drivers shall comply with all applicable laws, concerning motor vehicle accidents, (i.e. reporting, not leaving the scene of an accident, etc.).
- Any accident involving Rowan University fleet vehicles shall be reported to the Director of Facilities Operations or designee and the Department of Risk Management and Insurance (Risk Management) within twenty-four hours by the designated driver.
- Operators of Rowan University fleet vehicles may be held personally responsible for damages to the vehicle operated by them and caused by their negligence if that negligence was in violation of Rowan University policy or outside the scope of their employment. If it is determined that the employee's negligence was in violation of Rowan University policy or outside the scope of their employment, said employee shall be charged for such damages and may be subject to disciplinary action.
- If the vehicle is not maneuverable and must be towed away, Fleet Management shall be notified immediately by phone of the name and address of the towing company and storage lot.
- A "State of New Jersey Vehicle Accident Report” (RM-1A Form) shall be completed by the designated driver and his/her supervisor, and submitted to Risk Management within twenty-four hours following the accident. The Police Report for the accident MUST be included with the RM-1A form. The RM-1A form may be obtained from: https://www.nj.gov/treasury/administration/pdf/rm1a.pdf.
- Upon receipt, the RM-1A form, along with all supporting documentation, will be checked for clarity and completeness by Risk Management.
- Risk Management shall ensure that State Form RM-1A be promptly forwarded to the State of New Jersey Division of Risk Management, P.O. Box 620, Trenton, NJ 08625.
- In the case of serious injury or death, Risk Management shall notify the appropriate parties to protect the legal and financial interests of Rowan University.
- Vehicle Monitoring:
- All College or Operating Unit fleet vehicles' parking, usage, keys, vehicle credentials and fuel purchases shall be monitored by the College or Operating Unit to whom the vehicle is assigned.
- College or Operating Unit fleet vehicles must be operated and parked in a legal manner according to DOT/MVC and Rowan University regulations. All vehicles must be locked and the vehicle keys secured when not in use. It is the responsibility of the College or Operating Unit to which the vehicle(s) is assigned, to ensure that all of these procedures are followed. Failure to comply with these requirements may result in forfeiture of the use of Rowan University fleet vehicles by the College/Operating Unit or employee.
- Rowan University fleet vehicles must have proper and valid documentation as required by New Jersey State DOT/MVC; these documents will be initially supplied by the Fleet Management Department. It is the responsibility of the College/Operating Unit and designated driver to ensure all applicable credentials are located in the glove box of each vehicle before the vehicle is driven on a daily basis. Failure to comply with these requirements and guidelines may result in forfeiture of the use of Rowan University fleet vehicles.
- Vehicle Identification:
- All Rowan University fleet vehicles are required to display the appropriate vehicle decal (see Exhibit A) on the side door.
- It is the responsibility of the Fleet Management Department to ensure that the vehicle decals are initially installed on each vehicle. Removal of decals by the College or Operating Unit is prohibited. The only exceptions to this requirement are undercover vehicles assigned to the Department of Public Safety and vehicles assigned to EMS.
- Failure to comply with this requirement may result in forfeiture of use of a fleet vehicle by the College/Operating Unit and subject the designated driver to disciplinary action.
- It is the responsibility of the Director of Facilities Operations to receive all phone calls concerning vehicle misuse. When a complaint is received, the Director of Facilities Operations, or designee, will contact the applicable Operating Unit's Department Head and will request that the Department head conduct an initial review of the situation with the driver.
- It is the responsibility of the Operating Unit's Department Head to conduct the initial review of the situation with their driver and report the findings back to the Director of Facilities Operations or designee.
- If it is determined that disciplinary action is necessary, it is the responsibility of the Operating Unit's Department Head to work with Human Resources to determine the appropriate course of action/discipline based upon the facts in the case. Facilities Operations will be available to provide input to the case as necessary.
- All Rowan University fleet vehicles are required to display the appropriate vehicle decal (see Exhibit A) on the side door.
- Vehicle Transfers:
- All Rowan University fleet vehicles at all locations are titled to the University and may be transferred as needed from department to department or campus to campus with no NJ Motor Vehicle requirements or restrictions. When transfers occur the Vehicle Inventory List will be updated to reflect the change in assignment.
- Vehicles may be assigned when determination by Fleet Management demonstrates that the vehicle to be transferred is available without negative impact to its presently assigned entity, that the vehicle is safe to operate, and that the vehicle is appropriate for the new assignment. All transfers shall be reviewed and authorized by the Director of Facilities Operations.
- Vehicle Replacement:
- All vehicles will be inspected on a regular basis and evaluated for safety, anticipated repair cost, vehicle age, general condition, and mileage and recorded in the Fleet Management Program. In addition to regularly scheduled Preventative Maintenance, a more extensive Vehicle Condition Assessment of any vehicle with an odometer reading greater than 50,000 will be completed. Depending on this assessment and fiscal forecasting, such vehicles may be placed into the disposal category for optimal resale value with the authorization of the Vice President – Facilities, Planning & Operations.
- Vehicle Disposal:
- Vehicles that have been designated for disposal will be marked as either operational or scrap. A Resolution will be prepared for Board of Trustee approval and declaration and surplus. All ancillary equipment for Public Safety vehicles will be removed prior to sale.
- Vehicle Purchase: The steps for purchasing a new vehicle are:
- Complete the Vehicle Purchase Request Form which can be found at https://sites.rowan.edu/procurement/files_forms/forms_end_user/Vehicle%20Request%20Form.pdf.
- Forward to the Facilities Operation Office for review by Fleet Management.
- The purchase must be approved by the University’s Senior Vice President of Administration.
- The Request will be returned to the department. If approved, the department should put a requisition in the system and send a copy of the Vehicle Purchase Request Form to Purchasing.
- Failure to comply with the requirements of this policy shall result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Vehicle Door Decal
How is my driving Vehicle Questionnaire?
NAME OF CALLER:
First Name: _______________________MI:_____ Last Name: __________________
Street Address: _________________________ Suite/P.O. Box: _______________
City: ______________________County: ______________Zip Code: ______________
Home Phone: ____________________Cell Phone: _________________
E-Mail Address: _______________________________
DESCRIPTION OF VEHICLE:
COLOR: ___________ Make: ______________Model:_______________
Body Style: ___________________ License Plate # SG_________________
DESCRIPTION OF DRIVER:
Gender: ______________ Race: _____________
Physical Characteristics: _______________________
DESCRIPTION OF COMPLAINT:
Date of Incident: __________________ Time of Incident: _________________
Location of Incident: __________________________________________
Details of Complaint: __________________________________________