ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Sick Time
Subject: Employee Benefits
Policy No: HR: 2015:02
Issuing Authority: President
Responsible Officers: Senior Vice President for Finance and CFO and the Chief Human Resources Officer
Last Revision: 09/22/2021
I. PURPOSE PURPOSE
To set policy regarding the accrual and use of sick time for staff employees absent from work due to non-occupational illness or injury.
II. ACCOUNTABILITY ACCOUNTABILITY
Under the direction of the President, the Senior Vice President for Finance and CFO and the Chief Human Resources Officer shall implement this policy and the Provost, Vice Presidents and Deans shall ensure compliance with this policy.
III. APPLICABILITY APPLICABILITY
This policy applies to regular full-time staff members, full-time temporary staff members, regular part-time staff members hired to work a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week. Temporary part-time staff members are not eligible for sick paymay earn sick leave in accordance with the New Jersey Sick Leave Law. Always refer to the appropriate collective bargaining agreements for any variations or additional details that apply to this policy.
- Sick Time Accruals
- On January 1 of each calendar year, Rowan full time employees in the AFT bargaining unit, twelve month faculty, and employees in the CWA, IFPTE, and Law Enforcement bargaining units shall be credited with 15 sick days, in anticipation of continued employment. Non Faculty 10 mos. employees will receive prorated amounts.
- On the first pay date of each month, RowanSOM regular full time and regular part time staff that has completed six months of continuous service shall be credited with 1 sick day, in anticipation of continued employment. Sick leave is credited for the month for employees hired prior to the 16th of the month. Employees hired after the 16th of the month, shall be credited on the first pay date of the next month. Employees who separate or begin an unpaid leave status before the 16th of the month shall not be credited with sick leave for the month. Employees who separate or begin an unpaid leave status after the 16th of the month shall be credited for sick leave for the month.
- On September 1 of each calendar year, Rowan ten month faculty shall be credited with 12.5 sick days, in anticipation of continued employment.
- Newly hired Rowan staff members accrue their first month of sick time according to their hire date.
- Days 1-8 accrue 1 day of sick time
- Days 9-23 accrue .5 days of sick time
- Dates 24-31 accrue no sick time
- Although sick time may be credited (granted) to employees up front, it is in anticipation of continued employment and, therefore it accrues over time.
- Permanent part time staff members are eligible for sick time accruals on a pro rata basis.
- Employees are liable for sick days taken in excess of their entitlement and shall reimburse the University for such. Employees in an unpaid leave status shall not accrue sick leave during that status.
- Sick time accruals are cumulative from one year to the next with no limitation as to the amount of accumulation
- Employees shall not be reimbursed for accrued, but unused sick time when separating from the University except for eligible employees at retirement as provided in N.J.A.C. 4A:6-3.
- Sick time accruals are designated for use when the employee or an immediate family member is ill and unable to be present at work. Medical documentation is required for absences of 5 days and more or when reasonable to request. FMLA runs concurrently for any sick leave that is used for more than 5 concurrent days.
V. CONFIDENTIALITY CONFIDENTIALITY REQUIREMENTS
Any medical documentation must be submitted by employee directly to the Human Resources Department. Supervisors should never accept medical documentation from an employee.