A. Mission Statement:
- Rowan University Advancement employees are ethically obligated to respect and safeguard the privacy rights and the confidential information obtained from Rowan University alumni, prospects and donors. It is important that Advancement employees act with integrity and are honest in their dealings with the University and with those that they come in contact with. Advancement employees shall avoid conflicts of interests and may not accept favors or any other benefits for personal gain and shall follow the letter and spirit of the laws and regulations affecting advancement and observe these standards by also encouraging your colleagues to do so as well.
- Staff Members of Rowan University's Division of Advancement are entrusted with sensitive and personal information regarding University alumni, prospects and donors. It is therefore incumbent upon each employee to protect the privacy rights of those who have dealings with the University. An employee's stewardship of personal information can be guided by the following code of ethics and principles set forth below:
- Rowan University's Department of Advancement Services (DAS) maintains a database (Millennium) of biographical and gift/pledge information about University alumni and friends in accordance with the general needs and expectations of the University community. The information contained in this database is intended exclusively for purposes related to Rowan University's programs.
- Staff members of University Advancement will have access to Millennium [alumni and/or development information as well as data analysis] from their workstations. Each employee user should diligently deal with sensitive information regarding alumni, prospects and donors in the areas of data retrieval, retention, dissemination and disposal. This policy document is designed to protect the privacy of Rowan University alumni and other constituents and to maintain standards of confidentiality associated with electronic records in Millennium. Exceptions to this policy can only be made by the Vice President of University Advancement or his/her designee.
- An employee's need to access Millennium does not equate to casual viewing. It is the employee's obligation, and his/her supervisor's responsibility, to ensure that access to Millennium is only to complete assigned functions.
- The Director of Advancement Services in recognition of the right to privacy of donors to Rowan University, ethical considerations, and the need for good donor relations has categorized Millennium data as restricted. Data and information available in Millennium and in related reports and files is the property of Rowan University and its use is governed be federal, state and local law, as well as University regulations. It may only be used to support University-sponsored or University-approved development or alumni relations functions.
- The Department of Advancement Services expects that individuals with access to Millennium data understand their responsibilities with respect to use, interpretation and distribution of that data and the consequences for misuse of data. The ability to access and produce reports and mailings does not constitute automatic authority to do so. Unauthorized release or use of Millennium information for any purpose is strictly prohibited and may result in suspension, and/or termination of employment for the employees involved. Additional legal action may be taken, when warranted.
- It is the desire of the Department of Advancement Services to support the ongoing activities of Rowan University by providing assistance for programs, communications, and events, which bring together alumni, donors, and friends of the University. In order to provide the best possible service to those with legitimate needs for such information, and at the same time maintain the confidentiality of the information entrusted to us by our alumni, the following policies have been developed.
- Exceptions to this policy can only be made by the Associate Vice President of University Advancement or his/her designee.
- In cases of dispute about whether an organization has a legitimate affiliation with the University, the final decision will rest with the Associate Vice President of University Advancement or his/her designee.
- In cases of dispute about what constitutes an approved activity, the final decision will rest with the Associate Vice President of University Advancement or his/her designee.
E. Compliance with the above policy.
STATEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING FOR MILLENNIUM USERS
I, the undersigned, have read and understand the policies for access to and privacy of Rowan University Alumni and Donor records. I agree to use the information provided only for the approved University program(s). Furthermore, I understand that the use of the information for political or commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.
Supervisor Signature Supervisor Approval Date
Complete in duplicate:
Copy (1) Millennium User
Copy (2) Office of Advancement Services
- University-affiliated organizations and alumni constituent groups, in support of approved activities include, but are not limited to the organizations listed below. In cases of dispute about whether an organization has a legitimate affiliation with the University, the final decision will rest with the Vice President of University Advancement or his/her designee.
- Rowan University Alumni Engagement
- Alumni constituent groups chartered under the Rowan University Alumni Association
- Rowan University Development
- Administrative units of Rowan University
- Academic units of Rowan University
- Athletic units of Rowan University
- Central Administration
- Career Development Center(s)
- Law enforcement agencies and student loan agencies.
- Agencies that assist the Department of Advancement Services in locating Rowan University's lost alumni, e.g. AlumniFinder, AlumniSync, HEPData, etc.
- All requests from anyone seeking information on another person will be forwarded to that person so that he/she can decide whether or not to contact the requestor. No No information will be released for those records coded "Do Not Release" indicating the alumnus or alumna has requested no University contact.
- All requests for information from members of the media must be referred to the Division of University Relations.