ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Shuttle Policy
Subject: Student Life
Policy No: SL:2019:01
Issuing Authority: Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students
Responsible Officer: Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students
Last Revision: 08/04/2020
Last Reviewed: 08/04/2020
The purpose of this policy is to state Rowan University's expectations for all students, faculty and staff who utilize a University shuttle.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students, the Assistant Director of Business Operations and Services shall implement and ensure compliance with this policy.
This policy applies to all students, faculty and staff of Rowan University.
- Rowan University Shuttle ID Policy
Rowan University requires students, faculty, and staff to show a valid Rowan ID to ride the shuttle.
- Riders will not be allowed to board the shuttle without a valid Rowan ID.
- Vouching for another rider is not permissible, and using someone else’s ID will be considered a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.
- All matters that may delay the shuttle should be reported to the Assistant Director of Business Operations and Services or a shuttle company representative.
- The shuttle will not wait for a rider who forgets his or her ID if a temporary pass is not issued in a timely manner. The rider will have to catch the next shuttle. To receive a temporary pass, please follow the steps listed below:
- The shuttle driver connects a rider with the Assistant Director of Business Operations and Services or shuttle dispatcher.
- The rider calls the Assistant Director of Business Operations and Services (856) 562-5189 or shuttle dispatcher number (856) 227-7571.
- To verify the rider’s status, the rider is asked to provide his/her ID number. Upon verification of rider’s status, permission is sent to the rider’s cell phone, which must be shown to the shuttle driver before boarding the shuttle.
- If a rider misplaces or loses an ID, efforts should be made ahead of time to replace the lost ID or get a temporary pass.
- The rider may also scan a copy of the University ID to his or her cell phone, as the ID verification process can take 5–10 minutes or longer.
- Lost and Stolen items
A rider who has lost an item should contact the Assistant Director of Business Operations and Services at Rowanshuttle@Rowan.edu or call Lost and Found at 856-256-4922 option1, you may also visit the link below: https://sites.rowan.edu/publicsafety/lostandfound.html The University shuttle is not responsible for any personal items lost or stolen on any University-operated shuttles.
- Inclement Weather and University Closings
The university shuttles will operate 60 minutes after classes have been cancelled unless directed otherwise by administration. For hazardous road conditions, street closings, or route changes, information is available during regular business hours on the app messaging system or through the university alert system.
- General Information
The shuttle services prohibit the following acts on any University shuttle:
- Refusal to show Rowan ID to the driver when asked or forcing oneself inside the shuttle without Rowan ID.
- Carrying food or drinks aboard the shuttle.
- Carrying aboard any items banned by the University.
- Carrying aboard any article that may block any aisle, emergency exit, or stairway of the vehicle.
- Bullying or harassing other students or the driver.
- Fighting or engaging in any violent or threatening behavior.
- Loud cell phone use.
- Interfering with safe operation or movement of University shuttle or operator.
- Boarding or exiting the shuttle except at established stops.
- Making unnecessary noise or using profanity.
- Using unmuted electronic devices without earphones. An exception exists for individual officers performing their official duties.
- Operational changes and safety measures during the COVID-19 pandemic
COVID-19 Shuttle Protocols
- COVID-19 signage will be placed at each shuttle stop.
- Our shuttle provider has instituted a cleaning and disinfecting approach for all of our shuttles, which includes regularly disinfecting frequent touchpoints, such as handrails, armrests seating, and door handles.
- Wipe and tissue dispensers will be provided on each shuttle.
- Shuttle passengers will be required to wear face coverings.
- Shuttle drivers will not use recirculated air for shuttle ventilation. Instead they must use shuttle vents and/or lower the vehicle’s windows to bring in fresh outside air.
- Passengers will be asked to maintain social distance (6 feet minimum) while waiting at shuttle stops and when entering shuttles.
- Information will be posted online and around campus because shuttle routes may change to enhance efficiency and/or due to other university policy changes.
- Riders who fail to comply with the safety measures outlined above will not be allowed to ride the shuttle and may face disciplinary actions for noncompliance.
- Consequences for Non-Compliance
Compliance with the University’s shuttle policy is required of each rider. Failure to comply with the policy may result in immediate removal from the shuttle and disciplinary action for non-compliance by the Office of Community Standards.