ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Good Samaritan Policy
Subject: Student Life
Policy No: SL: 2016:03
Issuing Authority: President
Responsible Officer: Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students
Last Revision: 08/01/20
Last Reviewed: 08/01/20
This policy has been established to ensure that proper medical assistance and intervention is sought in these instances and not delayed for fear of punitive action by the University under the Student Code of Conduct.
Under the direction of the President, the Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students shall implement and ensure compliance with this policy.
This policy applies to all students of Rowan University.
- Rowan University recognizes there are times when students or members of a University organization find themselves in a position where medical assistance is needed to ensure the proper care of a person who is significantly intoxicated, under the influence of drugs, or has been the victim of an assault. All students are expected to act first out of concern for themselves and others by contacting appropriate University personnel, i.e. a Resident Assistant (RA), Resident Director (RD), Residential Learning Coordinator, or Public Safety Officers to obtain emergency assistance.
- Under the Good Samaritan Policy, students and/or organizations that seek assistance from Public Safety or medical authorities to address a situation involving an individual who is significantly intoxicated, under the influence of drugs, or has been the victim of an assault will not be charged with a violation of the University's Alcohol and Other Drugs policy. The policy applies to both the individual who sought the assistance and the student who needed assistance if they are under the legal drinking age. (It does not apply to charges involving the sale or distribution of illegal substances).
- This policy does not preclude the University or other appropriate authorities from taking disciplinary action for other Student Code of Conduct offenses which may be associated with the situation, i.e., vandalism, theft, physical or sexual assault, etc., or the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management from filing appropriate criminal charges.
- Students and/or organizations involved in a situation that falls under the Good Samaritan Policy will be required to complete certain educational and counseling initiatives which are intervention and prevention based. Failure to complete these activities will result in action under the Student Code of Conduct.
- Students and/or organizations demonstrating a consistent and repeated pattern of such behavior, after appropriate intervention and education have been provided, will not be protected under this policy.
- Resources such as the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management, Residential Learning and University Housing, Student Health Services, Vice President of Student Life/Dean of Students and the Office of Student Affairs at Rowan SOM are available for students to seek assistance for themselves, and equally important, their fellow students.