ROWAN UNIVERSITY POLICY
Title: Accrual and use of Sick Time
Policy No: FIN: 2014:07
Issuing Authority: President
Responsible Officers: Senior Vice President for Finance and CFO
Last Revision: 12/01/2018
Last Reviewed: 12/01/2018
The purpose of this policy is to outline the accrual and use of sick time for the University’s staff employees absent from work due to non-occupational illness or injury.
Under the direction of the President, the Senior Vice President for Finance and CFO shall implement this policy and the Associate Vice President for Human Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer, Sr. Vice Presidents, Vice Presidents, Deans and Department heads shall ensure compliance with this policy.
This policy applies to regular full-time staff members, full-time temporary staff members, regular part-time staff members hired to work a minimum of twenty (20) hours per week. Temporary part-time staff members are not eligible for sick pay. Always refer to the appropriate collective bargaining agreements for any variations or additional details that apply to this policy. Temporary part-time staff including students are eligible for New Jersey Sick Leave Law as of 10/29/2018
- Sick time accruals are designated for use when the employee or immediate family member is ill and unable to be present at work. Medical documentation is required for absences of 5 days and more or when reasonable to request. FMLA runs concurrently for any sick leave that is used for more than 5 concurrent days. SOM employees cannot use sick time for immediate family member unless approved by FMLA. SOM needs to provide documentation for absences of 3 days.
- Confidentiality Requirements
- Any medical documentation must be submitted by employee directly to the Human Resources Department. Supervisors should never accept medical documentation from an employee.
- Payroll Services runs process to accrue leave time monthly for Rowan SOM eligible employees, and in January, July and September for Rowan Glassboro. Payroll Services oversees the employee utilization of sick time and pay out for retirement.
- The Associate Vice President for Human Resources and Chief Human Resources Officer oversees HR function to approve use of sick time for leave of absence and retirement and forwards to payroll staff to monitor and pay out
- Sick Time Accruals
- On January 1 of each calendar year, Rowan full time employees in the AFT bargaining unit, twelve month faculty, and employees in the CWA, IFPTE, and Law Enforcement bargaining units shall be credited with 15 sick days, in anticipation of continued employment. Non Faculty 10 mos. employees will receive prorated amounts.
- On September 1 of each calendar year, Rowan ten month faculty shall be credited with 12.5 sick days, in anticipation of continued employment.
- Newly hired Rowan staff members accrue their first month of sick time according to their hire date.
- Days 1-8 accrue 1 day of sick time
- Days 9-23 accrue .5 days of sick time
- Dates 24-31 accrue no sick time
- On the first pay date of each month, Rowan SOM regular full time and regular part time staff who have completed six months of continuous service shall be credited with one sick day, in anticipation of continued employment. Sick leave is credited for the month for employees hired prior to the 16th of the month. Employees hired after the 16th of the month, shall be credited on the first pay date of the next month. Employees who separate or begin an unpaid leave status before the 16th of the month shall not be credited with sick leave for the month. Employees who separate or begin an unpaid leave status after the 16th of the month shall be credited for sick leave for the month.
- Permanent part time staff members are eligible for sick time accruals on a pro rata basis.
- Employees are liable for sick days taken in excess of their entitlement and shall reimburse the University for such. Employees in an unpaid leave status shall not accrue sick leave during that status.
- Sick time accruals are cumulative from one year to the next with no limitation as to the amount of accumulation.
- Employees will not be reimbursed for accumulated sick time when separating from the University except for eligible employees at retirement as provided in N.J.A.C. 4A:6-3.
- Part-time , Temporary and Student Employees accrue sick time by pay period effective Oct. 29, 2018. 1 hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked on 10/29/2018 (the law’s effective date, or your date of hire, whichever is later. Maximum annual accrual is 40 hours of paid leave.