Our VPN (Virtual Private Network) Client allows you to access Rowan University Network resources from home as if you were on campus. A VPN is a secured private network connection built on top of publicly accessible infrastructure.
The VPN is Licensed Software (available only to Rowan employees and students)
The Cisco AnyConnect VPN client is a web-based VPN client that does not require user configuration. VPN, also called IP tunneling, is a secure method of accessing Rowan computer resources.
The Cisco VPN is required to access Exchange e-mail using Outlook, Library Resources and files on the Rowan network from off campus.
What You'll Need before Connecting
- Your Rowan username and password
- An active Internet connection
- We recommend uninstalling the old VPN client if it is on your machine and rebooting after the uninstall is complete.
- The Java Runtime Environment. You will need the Java Runtime Environment installed before you will be able to successfully install the AnyConnect client.
Mac users should use the Software Update feature (available on the Apple menu) to check that you have the most up-to-date version of Java for your Mac.
Connecting to the Rowan VPN
- Point your browser to http://vpn2.rowan.edu
- Enter your Rowan network username and password and click Login.
- Click the Start AnyConnect link in your browser window to begin installation the AnyConnect program. If you receive a certificate warning, accept the certificate and continue with the installation.
NOTE: On Macintosh PowerPC computers, you may be asked to manually install the AnyConnect client (see example below). Click the link under Install using the link below to complete your installation.
Once the installation is complete, you will be automatically connected to Rowan's VPN. You should now see the icon, circled in the image below in your system tray if you are on a Windows PC or the system dock if you are on a Macintosh
Disconnecting from the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client
On a Windows PC
To disconnect from the AnyConnect VPN connection on a Windows PC:
- Right-click the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client icon in your system tray.
- Select Open AnyConnect.
- From the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client screen, choose Disconnect.
On a Macintosh
To disconnect from the AnyConnect VPN connection on a Macintosh:
- Click the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client in your system dock.
- From the Cisco AnyConnect Client screen, click the Disconnect button.